All it takes is 3 chords and a dream!

Friday, May 9, 2008

CD Review: I Am The Heat - The Future Doesn't Need Us


I Am The Heat – The Future Doesn’t Need Us
2008, I Am The Heat/High Five Records


Brooklyn, NY based I Am The Heat will release their 2nd EP, The Future Doesn’t Need Us in July of 2008. I Am The Heat are a post-punk art rock/garage rock band. The Future Doesn’t Need Us mixes funky bass lines, disco drum beats and eclectic guitar work to back the pleasant lead vocals of Jameson Edwards.

There is a bit of a lo-fi quality to The Future Doesn’t Need Us, ala The Figgs’ early work, but as the EP progresses to songs such as Silver Skies and Tonight (I’ll Save You), a little more polish is evident. Dream Machine is ultimate garage sound, and Your Monsters is almost purely danceable power pop. What Would Lou Reed Do is a frenetic exercise in pure post-punk pop.

In the end, I thought this was a solid recording. It didn’t blow me away, but I Am The Heat are obviously a talented trio. The recording is worth a listen to see if it catches you, and I would highly suspect that a live show would be worth your time if you happen to be in the city.

Rating: 3 Stars (Out of 5)

You can learn more about I Am The Heat at www.iamtheheat.com. Several websites indicate that The Future Doesn’t Need Us will be released on July 15, 2008, but you can purchase downloads now at Dig Station .

No comments: