All it takes is 3 chords and a dream!

Monday, September 1, 2008

CD Review: Daniel Christian - I Am Merely Sand


Daniel Christian - I Am Merely Sand
2006, Popidirigible Recordings


Cornhusker Daniel Christian has a smooth, clear pop voice that is an absolute pleasure to listen to. His songwriting explores themes of faith, humanity, philosophy and loss. I Am Merely Sand is a collection of ten thought provoking songs that are as marketable as they are substantial.

I Am Merely Sand opens with New Rising Sun, an guitar-based story song that shows off Christian's voice and apt songwriting. ...Unto Herself has a quirky new-wave feel to it that is quite enjoyable. Estella is a lovely piano ballad with a very old fashioned manner to it. There is a Beatles feel to this song that is undeniable, and it may be the class of the album. Daniel Christian certainly finds ways to surprise you along the way.

Take Oceans, for example; a light and lilting pop tune that sounds like it could be a theme song for the upcoming season of the television series Lost. Other highlights include Flashlight Tag, Sometimes It's Time, Lazarus Man and Picture Me. Also be sure to check out Water From The River, a step into a more modern sound for Daniel Christian.

I Am Merely Sand has strong religious overtones and a philosophical bent that are undeniable. There is significant substance in the songwriting here that is reminiscent of some of the best songwriters in pop/rock music. Daniel Christian is a musical voice in the wilderness, leading an inquiry which is its own reward.

Rating: 4.5 Stars (Out of 5)

You can learn more about Daniel Christian at www.myspace.com/danielchristian. You can purchase a copy of I Am Merely Sand at www.cdbaby.com/cd/danielchristian.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for providing the proper adjectives to describe Daniel and his music. I am a most recent fan of this compilation of music and have been raving to all my friends but lacking the proper terminology to describe its genre. I am so picky about what I find truly enjoyable that I rarely buy an album. There isn't ONE tune on this one that I don't love !!